Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Blah-ging

So, I've been feeling rather 'blah' about blogging these last few weeks.

I know I promised a post about our pigs.  I swear, I really did start writing a draft, and even took a fresh set of photos of the ever-growing swine, but the desire to actually follow through and complete the post is missing in action.

And honestly, I can't think of much to write about anyway that is particularly interesting and isn't complete and total navel-gazing. (This post will be a perfect example of what I've been trying to avoid writing.)

Most of my energy these last few weeks has been directed toward working on furniture projects.  I jumped on the chalk paint bandwagon and bought a few quarts after being most impressed with the way it covered some disgusting 1980s French Provincial bedroom furniture I'm upcycling for my sister. I've also completed a very cool armoire re-do, using chalk paint, inspired by this photo from Period Living magazine.

Period Living

But with my son out of preschool a month now, I greatly miss those mornings to myself where I could work for a couple hours completely uninterrupted.  So, I paint in fits and spurts, and my endurance is starting to wane as I eye the multiple chairs on my porch awaiting paint and new coverings, the sofa table, the hutch, etc. that all need fresh coats of paint.

If the idea of actually doing a project is somewhat daunting, the notion of taking photos and editing them to show off the finished projects, then writing posts about them, is totally unappealing right now.

On top of this, the crafting I'd hoped to do is naturally coming along much more slowly than I'd like.  And don't even get me started on sewing, because I haven't done a thing with my sewing machine and all the wonderful fabrics sitting in my office/crafting room armoire!

Call the waaahhhmbulance, Erin.
 
I know, poor lil' ol' me. Wah, wah, wah. <rolls eyes>

Can you tell I bite off more than I can chew?  It's an on-going problem in my life.

However, not all is a pity party in my little corner of the world.  I'm just making it sound that way.

Part of my time the last few months has also been spent making more candles.  I've only mentioned the candle-making in passing, but I'm very proud to say that my hand-poured soy candles are now being carried in two local shops:

Nest in Burlington

and

Vintage Revival in Hillsborough

These are two of my favorite shops in the area, and it's quite thrilling to see something I've made displayed in these oh-so-lovely spaces.  And now I'm considering an Etsy shop, but not til the fall when preschool is back in session!  I'm not *that* crazy to take on yet another project right now...

We're also getting ready to build a workshop/storage building behind our house. That will give me a proper painting studio, as well as a place to keep furniture projects (!!!) and my husband can finally organize and store his tools.  Plus we'll have covered parking for our cars, shelter for our wood splitter and extra storage for firewood.

Plus, I need want to repaint the beadboard in the kitchen, sew whimsical curtains for several bare windows in the house, get caught up on my favorite blogs, continue reading the Outlander series (my latest reading addiction...OMG love it!) and a host of other things.

With all this on my plate, I'm toying with the idea of taking a summer vacation from blogging, just so I can catch up on projects, other around-the-house stuff and life in general, and not feel the completely self-imposed pressure to document everything. 

Would you stick around if I take a brief hiatus?

Please say yes, please say yes.

I'm curious to hear how you've handled--if you've had one--a blogging slump...any and all advice is appreciated!

Your tuckered-out blogging friend,
Erin

16 comments:

  1. Erin, that is so cool that you are selling your candles in these shops! I'm in Greensboro and get my chalk paint at The Mill in Gibsonville - it's right next to Burlington. I'd love to check out the Nest in Burlington when I go back for more paint. I see their address is Maple Street - is that near downtown? I can google map it for directions. And Hillsborough is one of my favorite towns. I'll have to check that one out too! So glad you shared this and I can't wait to see your candles. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow- you are staying busy! I completely understand about wanting to take a break from blogging- I think the summer is a natural time to do just that and not have to worry about posting so much! Vintage Revival in Hillsborough is so cute! I will definitely have to check out the other shop in Burlington. Your candles look lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. YES!! I will definitely stick around and be here when you get back. I have definitely gone through spurts where I lack motivation and enthusiasm. I think everyone does. It will come back eventually! Hang in there and take all the time you need :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yeah, and that's super cool about your candles, they look gorgeous on display like that!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes! I do get in blogging slumps... I don't know how alot of my blogger friends do it, because sometimes i just don't feel all that clever, or creative and i look at my house and think everything looks stupid... and i see messes everywhere...
    and Yes, i would stick around if you took a break! It sounds like you have around fifty gajillion things going on, and it's overwhelming.
    And.... i am so gonna go check out your soy candles! Those are some of my favorite shops too!

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds like you are in a rut, my dear. I have had slumps and in those instances, when words are fleeting, I simply post a pretty picture or a quote just to keep me out there and keep me involved. It will come back to you eventually.

    Meanwhile, enjoy your summer with your little one.

    Be sure to stop by this week to enter my giveaway.

    Have a great holiday weekend! La

    ReplyDelete
  7. i would also be sticking around, like a faithful puppy just watching out the window, wagging my tail til you return! love your blog, your honesty, your projects, your style, so i'll be here when you are.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll stick around. I have taken a slow-down period this summer where I will only be posting once or twice a week. With my son out of school I didn't want my blogging time to cut into his fun summer time. I had thought about just nor posting at all for the summer, but I really do enjoy blogging, so that was my solution. I think that is the nice thing about blogging - you set your own schedule and can come and go as you want (as long as you aren't trying to be the next huge super-duper mega blogger).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on the candles, they look great! I have you on my blogroll so I'll be sticking around :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hurray for you and your candle business! It sounds exciting and a fun thing to do! I hope you are enjoying every minute of your summer, it all goes by so fast. We will all be here when you have time to blog!

    XO,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  11. You know I'll be here! I know exactly what you mean~sometimes you just need a break! Hope to see you soon. Heather nestnc.blogspot.com
    (for some reason google won't let me log into my account )

    ReplyDelete
  12. Erin,

    Blog about life, don't live to blog!

    Your readers will be here when you post. Enjoy time with your little one. They grow too fast too soon.

    Your Friend,
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Erin,

    I just recently starting following, but yes, of course! Take a break, enjoy your little one, and have a great summer. Congrats on the candles.
    ~Tina

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your candles look lovely! I admire your creativity...I'm lacking your particular kind of skillz.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Absolutely I'd stick around and CONGRATS on the candles!!!! I'm with you, it's extrememly difficult this time of year. I work outside of the home 45 - 60 hours/week, have a large garden, try to make things from scratch....hard to have time for it all. :-) Take a break and rejuvenate! You'll be missed.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'll be here too! I think summer is a time for pause, have fun!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time stop by and say hello! I enjoy reading each and every comment left at Carolina Country Living.